Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Every Good and Perfect Gift

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like the shifting shadows." James 1:17 NIV

We had another one of those mornings. You know. The kind where everyone wakes up a little later than they should and where no one laid out their clothes the night before. It was a little crazy with five people running around the house looking for items that had been tossed aside carelessly the night before.

When the announcement was made that the temperature outside was a frigid 27 degrees, the scramble started again for decent coats. Everyone was successful in the hunt except for my son.

I had gone on about my business helping do my ten year old's hair when my 16 year old son walked in and asked if I could help him for a minute.

He needed help finding a coat to wear.

He did not know what I knew.

We looked at some of the hoodies and jackets he received for Christmas last year.
Last year my son was under 6 feet tall.
Twelve months later he is 6'2" and growing.

Last year's jackets looked like cute little mid-drift!

He still did not know what I knew.

He looked at me and asked what he should do. All of the shirts we bought him for school were short sleeve and his hoodies were all filthy.

I went to my closet and found the sack I was looking for.
I pulled out the Christmas present purchased the day after Thanksgiving.

It had been there all the time.
A gift.

He was glad, relieved, and surprised that the jacket was one that he had wanted.

It had been there all the time- a gift just waiting to be received.
I was waiting for Christmas, but he needed it before then.

I gladly gave him his gift because of his need.
I knew his need in advance and was prepared.

Do you see where I am going with this?

How much more does God know what we need?
How much more is He prepared to give us what we need?

Luke 11:13 says, "If you then, thought you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him?"

Can I point out something else?

After my son opened his early Christmas present, a sharp Aeropostale jacket, we discussed his need for a heavy coat. I asked him about the school's athletic jackets.

He said he told the coach he didn't want one.
Why?
Because he felt like it was too much money for us to spend. He is going to a private school this year and we have had a few extra expenses to say the least. He has always been like that. He doesn't want to ask for "too" much or "put us out" financially.

While I think he is very responsible and mature for thinking along those lines, he does not know what we know.
My husband and my resources are limited, but not depleted. :) We have anticipated the purchase of a letter man's jacket. This is something that we WANT to do, because we enjoy GIVING gifts to our children. It is SO FUN to hear joy in their voices and see it in their faces when they get a present they really wanted.

God's resources are infinite! How much more does He long to give us GOOD gifts. Not THINGS, but gifts that draw us closer to Him and make us more like Him.

God is so much more than giving us THINGS. He delights in bringing us joy! Do you really think He is with holding something you need just because?

Christmas is my favorite time of year because I L O V E to give my children LOTS of gifts. I can't give them everything they would like, but we enjoy just giving to them and providing for them. Even after they are grown and married, it won't change. Why? Because I love my kids and grandchildren! Giving is a result of loving.

"For God so loved the world that He GAVE."

So, today I encourage you to meditate on the TRUTH of God's Word, "Every good and perfect gift is from above."

Do you have a need? Know and trust in Him - that He is prepared to meet your need. You can even ask Him. (How silly would it have been for me to get mad at my son for asking for help finding a jacket this morning?) So, ask your heavenly Father. Trust Him!

I am thankful I serve such a wonderful God!

blessings!
dorinda


Remember:
Jesus is the reason for EVERY season!

No comments: