This first online lesson is to introduce you to and acquaint you with some tools that will make our "treasure digs" easier. (If you refer friends in the future to this site, please make sure you tell them to visit this blog spot date first.)
Each month (and later on a weekly basis) we will have a theme word and verse. Each week we will do some treasure digging on the meaning of the word in the original Greek or Hebrew for each verse and then have some questions for online discussion.
Here is a sample of what we will be doing in a very simple format. This is just to get you familiar with some of the online tools.
Treasure word: Truth
Theme verse: John 8:32
Links and online resources:
- http://www.studylight.org/ (This is an AWESOME on line tool. Practice with it because it isn't as user friendly to get to the Greek Lexicon items.)
- In addition to this studylight link, here is a code to refer back to. This address looks up a word in the New Testatment and displays all the Greek words used for that meaning. http://www.studylight.org/lex/grk/search.cgi?word=word . (We will substitute the red word for whatever word we are looking up. Clear as mud, huh!?)
- http://www.ibs.org/ (This is the NIV Bible on-line. It is not down loadable, but great for NIV reading and searches.)
- http://www.e-sword.net/ (This is a free down loadable Bible study software.)
- www.blueletterbible.org/ (Online Bible with study notes.)
- (Type in John 8:32 in the blue search box. At the verse you will see the following initials. KCLIVD.
- The K will lead you to the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge. This tool will give you correlating passages using similar words and phrases. The C will take you to the Greek and Hebrew concordance. Here you can find the original meaning of each word used in the text. The L is the link to the Bible commentary section. Here you can choose a Bible scholar's commentary on the text. The I is available only when there is a hymn or picture associated with the text. The V gives you different versions and translations of the same verse. The D is the icon to the Dictionary Aids available on the text.)
2) What does truth mean in this verse?
3) What does it mean by "set you free"? Set free from what?