Monday, September 21, 2009

The Master's Plan


The Master's Plan is to make us "fisher of men".


I am reading a book right now called The Master Plan of Evangelism by Robert E. Coleman.

Talk about convicting!!!


Mr. Coleman points out that everything Jesus did while on earth was for a purpose, including the three years He spent with the 12 disciples. He had purposeful and life changing daily encounters with these men. All of it was to make them "fisher of men".

I have heard that term all of my life.

I know what it means.

I read the book.

Did the college course.

Heard the sermons.

So, why, today- at the mere age of 40+ is my heart so captured by this discipleship concept- this lifestyle?

I think, just maybe, somewhere in "all of my earthly gathering of knowledge" I have missed the big picture of being a "fisher of men".

I am re=thinking my idea of church.

Gasp!

No, not in doctrine or The Message, but in why do we do what we do?
No, I don't think my "idea" of church has been so tragically wrong all of these years.

But, maybe, just maybe I have gotten so wrapped up in our culture, that I lose sight of The Master's Plan.

Maybe, just maybe, I get so wrapped up in "doing" church that I forget about the "fishing" part.

Pushing off the boat.
Casting the nets.
Drawing in the catch.

Let me share with you some quotes from Mr. Coleman's book:

Men were His Method-
"His concern was not with programs to reach the multitudes, but with men whom the multitudes would follow."
"The initial objective of Jesus' plan was to enlist men who could bear witness to His life and carry on His work after He returned to the Father."
~ p. 27

"In an age when facilities for rapid communication of the gospel are available to the church as never before, there are actually more unevangelized people on the earth today than before the invention of the 'horseless carriage'. " ~ p. 38

So, I close my blog today with this thought~ I want to follow WHOLEHEARTEDLY the Master's Plan of Evangelism. I want to be a fisher of men. I want to be a disciple who disciples.

blessings,
dorinda


The Master Plan of Evangelism
by Robert E. Coleman
c 1963, Published by Fleming H. Revell, a division of Baker Book House Company.





1 comment:

Glenda McMath said...

That is a VERY challenging book. Makes me want to read the NT again with fresh eyes! Thanks for sharing!