Sunday, September 9, 2007

Study #2 - 2 Corinthians 4

Our topic is "Lord, Help me, I'm Human", and as I look around my home tonight, I am thinking - I take the trophy for humanity this week. My house is an absolute wreck and I am not sure if my kids have clean socks and clothes for Monday morning of school. Where are their shoes and backpacks?????? (Does God keep up with that stuff??) - Just kidding- I know He does. I think He chooses not to reveal those things to us in order to teach us life management.

Any way, I have established that I am human and need all the help I can get! You girls like Rosie and Jennifer with those wonderful organizing personalities can just come organize my life anytime you want, meanwhile I'll be looking for my keys and matching socks !!!

Seriously, I have read and re-read again this amazing chapter of God's Word. I taught Sunday school class on it today, and I want to challenge each of you to go even deeper in studying this chapter this week.

Instead of going in chronological verse order, I am going to skip down to the last 3 verses of the chapter for this week.

Verses 16 - 18:
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal".

If you were in my Sunday school class this morning you already have some of this, but here are some treasure for you to dig for:

1.) What does the word "fix" in verse 18 translate to in the original Greek?
2.) How can we fix our eyes on the unseen if it can't be seen?
3.) What is Paul talking about when he says "outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day"?
4.) What are some other verses that talk about being "renewed". (Use your study tool links I gave you.)
5.) Lastly, how do these verse apply to us today in our lives and in our society? What do they mean to you personally?

I loved your posts from last week. Keep them coming. Those of you who didn't post, that is okay - but just let us know you are there!

One more thing. Please pray for Renee Jumper's daughter Mandy. She broke her foot. That is not a "tragic" thing - but here's the clincher moms, Mandy just had her third child about 2 months ago. Her other two children are 3 and 18 months. Oh my goodness! Pray for her! Renee has the oldest two right now - (so pray for Renee and Kenny too) .

Remember, we are a community of believers! Hold each other up in prayer.

Tuesday is Women's Ministries night at our church at 6:30 I believe. By being a member of this Bible study, you are a WM. So, come on out and enjoy the fellowship! I can't be there because my child has a game- but I sure would love it if most of you could go!

You are all wonderful and I love you! Thanks for digging in God's Word for His treasure!!!

Seeking His Treasure,
Dorinda

5 comments:

LAURIE said...

"Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day"

Everything on this earth that I feel, that I see, that I experience is only temporary, it will all pass away someday. But the things of the Lord: His grace, His love, His forgiveness, His promises, the place He has prepared for me .... all of these things are eternal and will not pass away or change!

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen

2 Cor 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight

Instead of fixing my eyes on God and His faithfulness, during trials I tend to fix my eyes on my problem. And God is asking me to put my faith in Him, He sees things I don't see, He knows things I don't know. This thought reminds me of that song we use to sing long ago ..."He's got the whole world in His hands..." Trust Him.
Laurie

Anonymous said...

1.) Fix means to direct your attention to, to mark, to render constant.

2.) You have to believe and have faith in God that what he promises will come to pass. We can do this through prayer, Bible Study, and being led by the Holy Spirit. You have to take your focus off yourself and the world's standards and focus on what God wants you to do.

Laura

Anonymous said...

Hi all. To me this fix is looking ahead. Faith. Realizing things and our bodies are both temporary. Learning that trouble brings us closer (sometimes back to) God. So he may receive the Glory. Reading the bible renews me every day because usually God shows me others went through things and came out of the fire better than ever. I never cease to be amazed by God and his love for us! (me)
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Dorinda,
I have not been able to see what I have posted so I'm emailing.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and hard times.
This is a really good chapter and from the comments I've seen I was on
target with what I was getting from the chapter.
We do not lose hope because we have eternal hope in Jesus. After reading
your thoughts I thought about my life and remembered back to all of the
times that God has been faithful to me. As a single parent for a few years I
had some tough times but I can honestly say that God provided every day. I
did my best to keep myself and the girls in church and focused. I try and
tell anyone going through a tough time dont run from the church...run to it.
Be there whenever you can and volunteer. Anytime you can focus on others and
helping even in a small way you take the focus off of yourself. Outwardly
things might not change as you said but your perspective does.
With we went through with Lauren earlier this year was I think the toughest
thing I have faced ever because it was happening to her and not to me. I did
my best to praise God for everything...her physical health, my church family
and all of the prayers that were poured on her and the help of the doctors
she was seeing.
God is Great and I am so glad we live in the time of Grace and not the Law.

Kay

_________________________________________________________________

Kay D said...

ok..I'm testing again...
See you all at the 6oth anniversary on Sunday
Kay