Friday, September 19, 2008

Civic Responsibility

Just in case you have been asleep in a cave or a deserted island somewhere - this is an election year in America. :)

We see the ads.
We hear the news broadcasts.
We read the political attacks.

Not only is this a presidential election year, this is a crucial presidential election year.

The news articles print that the American people are screaming for "change". That simple little word seems to have defined the battle grounds for this election.

"What change can you bring?"
"My change is real change. Yours is the same old thing."


Regardless of political opinions and ideas, it is my belief that every citizen of the United States of America, that is of age, should vote.

Men and women have paid the price in blood for our right to vote and for us to have a voice in our democratic nation. Our democracy may have its flaws and mayhem at times, but it is a democracy that lives out the freedom of the people of our great nation.

Democracy is defined by the online Encarta dictionary as "free and equal representation of people: the free and equal right of every person to participate in a system of government.
- democratic nation: a country with a government that has been elected freely and equally by all its citizens.
- democratic system of government: a system of government based on the principle of majority decision-making."


I think sometimes we take this freedom very much for granted. We, as the American people, live in so much wealth and comfort that we become lazy and irresponsible with all that has been given to us, including our freedoms.

Voting is a privilege I take very seriously. I do not just go into the polls and play "connect the dots". I strive to make the best decision for my country that I can. That requires being informed and knowing what the candidates stand for.

As a Christian, my civic responsibility goes even deeper. My voting is not just about what I feel is best for my country, it is about "What does God have to say regarding this candidate, this issue?"

Well, what DOES God say?
He gives us principles like 2 Chronicles 7:14- "If my people who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways..."
He gives us the 10 Commandments. Exodus 20
He tells us throughout His Word that government should rely on Him and serve His purposes rather than focusing on wealth and prosperity.

I see in His Word that He destroyed nations because they allowed harm to come to their children. Jeremiah 7:31,32 For this reason, I believe, we as a nation, will be held accountable for the sin of abortion. According to God's Word, life is precious and nations are blessed when they hold this principle dear.

With all of this in mind, please make sure you are registered to vote! Then vote!
Below are the deadlines for voter registration and the voting dates:

October 6 — Voter Registration Deadline
October 20 — Early Voting Begins
November 4 — Election Day

Above all- PRAY. Pray according to 2 Chron. 7:14.
Pray
Seek His Face
Humble yourself
Turn from your wicked ways

(If I were my wonderful husband, you would be seeing that in some type of acronym.) :} )

Okay- make sure you are a registered voter!

blessings,
dorinda

1 comment:

LAURIE said...

Another thought I had to our civic responsibility is to support our troops...do this by displaying an American flag or banner and most importantly PRAY for our troops and their families! We don't see flags being displayed except for holidays such as 4th of July or Memorial day .... but aren't we proud to be Americans 365 days a year?