Tuesday, September 23, 2008


Last week my youngest daughter and I were in a public restroom. I reminded her to wash her hands. She proceeded to the sink and waves her hands in front of the faucet. Nothing. She went to the next sink and the next. Exasperated, she headed for the paper towel dispenser. Once again, she waved her hand in front of the dispenser.

As only my child can do, she put her hands on her hips and declared, "Nothing works in here!"


Smiling, I walked to the sink and simply turned on the cold water for her. We giggled and laughed at her assumptions.

I think we are like that sometimes with God. He does something really nifty and "automatic" for us at one point in our lives. Maybe He even does something like that again. Then, the next time, we forget about "doing" for ourself and sit and wait for Him to show up in His special way.

There are many instances in the Bible where God did something peculiar just once. He does not repeat His miracles in exactly the same fashion every time. He is a diverse God- yet He never changes. His methods may change, but His message never does.

So, why do we try so hard to put God in a box and wait impatiently for Him to do exactly what He did 2 years, four months, and 3 days ago? He is God. He is Sovereign. He is just. His is Mighty.

I promise to not "wave my hands" in front of my next need. I promise to see if I need to turn the crank myself a little.

How about you?

blessings,

dorinda

No comments: