Wednesday, December 2, 2009

An Undivided Heart

Psalm 86:11,12
"Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name. I will praise you, O LORD my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever."

After I had my devotion this morning, I was thumbing through my Bible looking at some of my underlined verses.

I read Psalm 86: 11 and 12.

Hmmmmm. And what does the Psalmist mean by "give me an undivided heart"?
I don't mean to harp on this, but I think this goes back to yesterday's blog about neglecting our salvation.
Jesus Himself said we cannot serve two masters.
In our country, we Christians live such comfortable lives. We don't have to "believe" God for our next meal. We go to the Supercenter and walk down the aisles of plenty and check out at the registers of gluttony. We peer through the catalog of wishes and purchase with our credit cards of excess and debt.
We sometimes get stuck in the quagmire of complacency.
But I want to be like the Psalmist and pray his prayer~
"Teach me YOUR WAY."
The result? "And I will walk in YOUR TRUTH."
"Give me an undivided heart."
The result? "That I may FEAR YOUR NAME."
An Undivided Heart.
What on earth does that mean?
To me, an undivided heart is having a single purpose in life, having nothing else that takes our eyes off of Jesus.


To me, an undivided heart is loving Him with all of my heart and will all my soul and with all my mind.
When I have an undivided heart, it doesn't matter what others think of me. It doesn't matter what "things" I possess. Pleasures and comforts will be at the bottom of my priorities.
When I have an undivided heart, my passion, my desire will be for my Savior, the lover of my soul.
That makes me think........
You know, I am crazy in love with my husband of almost 26 years.

I remember our first date.
I remember our first kiss!

Bear with me a moment as I reminisce. :)

I was standing at the side door between Bowie and Flower Dorms at Central Bible College in Springfield, Missouri.

It was 'late September back in 82'. :) (The song says '62- but it was 82!)

We had just been to the David Meece concert at Evangel University.

He walked me to my dorm and we were laughing and talking. The next thing I know he is looking me in the eye and he leans down and tenderly kisses me.

My heart melted.
He grins and says, "See you tomorrow?
I don't think I could speak.
I just nodded and walked in a daze to my room.
ahhhhhh.....

I still love him and still get "ga ga eyed" when he kisses me. :)

So..... back to the blog.

Why did I share that with you?
Because, as much as I am crazy about my wonderful and handsome husband, I am that much more in love with my Savior!
To be in the presence of Jesus and to feel His Glory and be surrounded by His love is breath taking! I yearn to spend time with Him basking in His Presence and sensing the warmth of His marvelous love.
If you have no clue what I am talking about and find an analogy of first love to God incredulous, then you haven't been "in love" with Jesus that way He longs for you to love Him.
How do you get to that point?
By spending time in His Word.
By spending time at His feet.
By seeking His face.
By saying words of adoration to Him.
With a repentant heart, asking Him to reveal Himself to you?
I think we sometmes treat the Holy Creator with a vending machine mentality.

"God, help me!"
"Lord, I need this."
"Jesus, if you will just heal my child...."
"God, you said you woud meet all my needs!"
Then, after we have received our "stuff", we forget to just love Him with all of our heart, with all of our soul and with all of our mind.
Why don't we pray for an undivided heart?
I know I need to ask God for an undivided heart DAILY!
I don't want to neglect my salvation.

I don't want to become calloused to the freshness of His love!
I want to be CRAZY in love with Jesus all the days of my life!

Lord, give me an undivided heart today! ~That I may fear Your Name!


blessings!

dorinda


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

This is a message for the webmaster/admin here at findingtreasureinjarsofclay.blogspot.com.

May I use part of the information from this blog post above if I provide a link back to your website?

Thanks,
William