Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Let Freedom Ring!

Ok. I know I have already posted today, but I just have to blog on this!

I am sitting in my living room working on my little computer while the Roto-Rooter guy is working on my kitchen sink.

The ABC newscast is dissecting President Obama's speech.

The reporter asks the director of the African American History Museum his thoughts on the speech.

The distinguished African American gentleman pauses. Looks at the camera and says, "Well, I must say that this is the first time I have ever truly heard 'freedom ring'. "

Wow!

As a white American, as much as I try to understand, I can never fathom the depth of emotion this day must hold for so many of my fellow Americans.

I remember the first time I took my children to the Lincoln Memorial.
They were 9, 6, and 3.
I took my son to the place where MLK Jr. gave his famous speech.
I shared with him and his six year old sister the atrocities of racism and prejudice.
I took them by the hand and looked them in the eye and told them why I felt Martin Luther King, Jr. was one of the greatest American men who has ever lived.

Let Freedom Ring!

Freedom has taken a giant step. Freedom in our democracy has stepped from the slave ships, to the plantations, to the front of the bus, to the voter lines, to every segment of our American society. Freedom has now rung the bell of democracy loud and clear. The American people have let their voice be heard.

Although, I am a political conservative, I am a proud American today. Today history has been made and an event that Martin Luther King, Jr, dreamed about has come to pass.

Wow!
We do live in a great country. May we continue to pray for our leaders that the greatness of our country does not fall to the deception of liberal ideologies and agnostic persuasions.

blessings!
dorinda

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Amen!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Wonderful post Dorinda!!

Laurie Ann said...

Awesome post! It is a historical day, indeed!

C. GARRY COLLINS, O.D. said...

You hit the nail on the head! I agree with you sentiments. Even George Bush could be seen saying,"This is a great day for our country." Liked your post on Ex-Pres Bush as well.