Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Letter to Former President George W. Bush

Dear Mr. Bush:

I am keenly aware that you will probably never read or even see this letter, but I feel I must express my sentiments, if for nothing else, my legacy to my children~ hopefully a legacy of expressing gratitude, appreciation and honor where it is due.

As I write this, I am watching the numerous inauguration coverages of President Barack Obama. I see the frenzy of people excited about what the next four years might possibly hold.

While others are looking to the future, I am thinking about the past eight years~ eight years that America has continued to enjoy freedom and safety within her borders.

On September 11, 2001, I watched in horror as terrorists attacked our country from within. Civilians- men, women, and children were killed and our level of comfort and security as Americans was changed forever. That morning, I sat on the edge of my bed with tears streaming down my face, clinging to my children. Fear gripped my heart. I was afraid~ afraid for the future, afraid for my children, and afraid for my country.

I do believe however, that you, President Bush, were placed in power under the direct sovereignty of God Almighty. Because of your strength of character and leadership, America stood strong and united during those first harrowing days. You spoke with a firm determination to find the hiding places of the cowardly terrorists. You spoke with resolve that we would remain secure. You, President Bush, led this country, not only to a place of safety, but also returned us to a mindset of security.

I want to thank you today for your courageous leadership for the past eight years. I want to thank you because there were over a million people today gathered in D.C. for the inauguration who enjoyed the safety and security that Americans have come to expect and take for granted- again.

Our brave troops, led by you- their Commander in Chief- have fought to keep our borders secure. Men and women have willingly pledged their lives to keep our freedom intact. You, President Bush, with strength of leadership, kept the hope alive, the we Americans do not have to live in fear or trepidation.

I do believe that in the years to come, you will be heralded in history, just as you are in the hearts of my family, as a hero~ a HERO who helped shape a nation in times of war and terrorism.

So, as you and Mrs. Bush retire to your farm in Texas, I hope you somehow will know and understand the depth of gratitude that one little family in Arkansas has for the Bush Administration.

On September 11, 2001, I was reminded of the story of Esther~
"But who knows that you came into the kingdom for such a time as this...."

With sincere gratitude, appreciation, and honor,

Dorinda Blann

9 comments:

Beth in NC said...

Awesome letter!!! I second it! We love the Bush family! God bless them!

Love,
Beth

LAURIE said...

beautiful. I think you should mail it!

Jennifer said...

Amen! Beautifully written letter from a heart of gratitude. You spoke what is in many hearts over the past 8 years. I know he is not going out with a much appreciation...but I too and very thankful for his leadership, protection and being led by God in some very dark days.

I again 100% with you from another little family in Arkansas.

I also agree with Laurie that you should mail it.

Well done, Dorinda!

Laurie Ann said...

Absolutely beautiful letter. I'm with Laurie. I hope you'll mail it or send it as a letter to the editor in your local newspaper...

Carolyn said...

You captured the very words that are in my heart and wrote them much better than I can. I believe many people share our good thoughts about President Bush. I am sure that he would love reading your letter, so maybe you should send it to him.
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Amen!! That is exactly the way we feel!

Mary Beth said...

My sentiments exactly! Thanks for writing this.

Rusty L. Blann said...

Wow! What a letter! I second it as well. Please send it! I love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see that someone has already expressed what I want to express to President Bush myself. I believe that over time, history will shine a favorable light on the work he did for our nation and the world. It's no secret that he made mistakes, as we all do, everyday. But his accomplishments, his mission, his vision, all hold up to the highest moral standards Americans should be proud of.
Michael