Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The 6:7 Principle

We have this pool in our back yard- a Wal-Mart special. It is just perfect for our yard and our family. Large enough for all 5 of us to swim and play in, but small enough to take care of easily~ If you clean it on a daily basis.

I got out early this morning to turn on the filter and use the net to clean out the bugs and stuff. The problem was that we haven't cleaned the pool in a couple of days. Yuck! Bugs and grass and little bugs and BIG bugs and stuff.... Yuck!

So, I start walking with the flow of the pump swirling my little net catching all the bugs. I am just humming along thinking how gross it was and walking in the circle. Then I think, as long as I am doing this I might as well get some exercise. Work it, Sister! Run! So, here I am getting my aerobic workout in the pool while cleaning, thinking, "Wow! I am just about done!"

I got tired of going in the same direction and got a little bit dizzy.... So, I turned around.

Oh.
My.
Goodness!

There, right behind me was a trail of gross stuff! Dead bugs and grass and dead flies.... Oh, Gross!

It seemed that as long as I was going with the flow of the current my perception of the grossness was hugely distorted. I was stirring up the yucky stuff by not making much of a difference.

Hmmmmm......

Deuteronomy 6:4-7
"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give to you today are to be upon your hearts.
6:7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates."


The 6:7 Principle is simply this:
Go against the flow!
Go against the flow of our humanistic society by teaching your children the Truth of God's Word- every day in every situation.
I think we must take a Pro-Active approach to changing our world for Christ!
We can get so used to the "flow" of life that we think we are making a difference, but maybe we are just out in front of all the "stuff".
Turn around and open your eyes to the ways of the world that are so contrary to God's Word.
Don't wait until your kids are teens to tell them that God's plan for marriage is one man and one woman for life. Tell them that homosexuality is AGAINST God's Word. Teach them healthy boundaries. Show them in God's Word.
"Impress them [God's Commands] on your children."
I think if we wait until we think our children are old enough, it might be too late. They may be so used to the "flow" that the world will have "impressed" its ways on our children.
So, let's make a commitment to live by the 6:7 Principle.
I think I have only scratched the surface of this..... Maybe more on the 6:7 Principle tomorrow.
blessings,
dorinda

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. Love the images your illustration conjured up. Only wish I could've seen you telling the story! LOL!!!

Dave Kidd said...

Awesome Word.

I heard a message recently that homed in on the analogy of children as arrows in their fathers quiver. Our job as parents (the bow) is to aim our children with the Holy Spirit and against the enemy.

You touched on the best way to do this. If we don't teach and demonstrate to our children that, as Christians, we should be going against the flow, than what are we ponting our arrows at. An arrow can't fly for God, if it's pointed at lust, greed or complacency.

Again, Good Word!