Monday, April 21, 2008

Oxygen

About 8 years ago I went to see my family physician. A few blood tests and an EKG later found me in an Emergency Room. Doctors were monitoring my condition for a possible heart attack. I was a little embarrassed at all the fuss. I just couldn't get the 10 ton elephant off of my chest.

Long story short, I was not having a heart attack, but rather a series of asthma attacks. The "elephant" turned out to be my inability to get enough air into my lungs and exhale properly.

To this day, I do everything possible to keep that "feeling" from returning.
  • I hold my breath while walking through smoke hazed doorways.
  • I avoid restaurants that allow patrons to smoke inside.
  • I refrain from the use of certain cleaning products in my home.
  • I stay away from dust and dirt.
  • I can't even use most popular scents and perfumes.

The ability to breathe freely and deeply is something I don't want to lose.

If you have sound on your computer, one of the first songs you will hear today as you log on to this blog is a song by Avalon, "You are My Oxygen".
The lyrics describe an intimate relationship with our Savior that gives breath to our very being. "I breathe You in. I breathe You out." Wow! I want the longing of my spirit to take in Jesus with every breath.
Oxygen. It is something we don't necessarily think about every second of the day- until we don't have it. Its very presence keeps us living and breathing. It is with us continually. It surrounds us.

I remember as a kid playing silly games in the pool with my sister. One of our favorites was to see who could hold their breath the longest. The secret to winning the game was to ignore the cry of your lungs screaming for air. It is so natural for our body to breathe, that refusing it the ability to do so is painfully unnatural.

Our spirit is the same way. With every second and every breath of our physical being, our spiritual man longs to breathe in Jesus, His presence, His Word, and His life.

Oxygen. I breathe You in. I breathe You out.

How many times have I forced the Oxygen out of my spiritual life and caused head spinning depravity in my spirit until my spirit man was lifeless?

Oxygen. I breathe You in. I breathe You out.

Oh, Jesus, You ARE my oxygen. Breathe the breath of Your Spirit into my life today! I breathe You in. I breathe You out!

I want to encourage you today to do everything within your power to keep the Breath of God flowing through your spirit man.
  • Avoid those things that hinder your ability to breathe deeply the Spirit of God.
  • Keep your spirit pure from the "smoke hazed" entry ways to sinful things.
  • Avoid places that pollute your spirit with the dirt and mire of the world.
  • Allow your home to be a fresh haven of purity rather than suffocating odors of carnality.
  • Stay away from the natural sins that are common place and expected.

Psalm 1:1,2 must be a guideline for our living.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night." NIV

Breathe in the very presence of Christ today. Spend time in His Word.Worship Him in the beauty of His holiness. Simply adore Him. Savor the breath of His Presence. Relish in His goodness. Awe at His majesty. Wonder at His love. Be amazed at His grace.

He is our Oxygen. He is what life is about. Breathe Him in. Breathe Him out.

dorinda

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good stuff! Thanks!!!!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

oh, so good...thanks for the breath of fresh air today!
c